Girl Talk

Jeremy epistemology at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 21:56:05 EDT 2008

The process is quite different. You're talking as if process is
meaningless. Process is meaningful. It's meaningful in a particular
way to the musician who is experiencing what it means to make music
with one's body, and it's also meaningful to the listeners. The
semiotics of listening to a stereo and listening to a musician are
completely different.

And there's also the basic, physical, fidelity issue. Even the best
concert speakers you'll ever find will not accurately or precicely
reproduce the sound and tactile experience of an instrument being
played right in front of you.

You keep talking about how the results are the same, whether played on
a CD or by a live band. But the results are much more nuanced than
simply comparing what the waveform of the sound is like as measured by
a microphone.

As for nothing original happening because it will all by hybridization
from here on out, it's always been hybridization. The Beatles were a
hybrid of American Rock and British songwriting. American Rock was a
hybrid of blues with the influence of the trap set, which was
developed for jazz. Jazz was a hybrid of... well we can go on and on
here. But saying that there's nothing truly new because it's all
hybrid now is meaningless. It's always a hybrid.

At any rate, Ableton is a spiffy little computer program. It's a very
simplified sequencer. And yes, one can theoretically play it live.
However, shuffling around a few sequences while on a stage and spazing
out is not the same thing as an orchestra performing, and drawing some
kind of equivalency between the two is just goofy.

I speak as someone who has real respect for the great turntablists.
But Ableton Live? Face it. That's kid's stuff. Comparing Ableton Live
to a real instrument is like comparing a child's play-doh sculpture to
The Statue Of Liberty. Sure, both are technically art, but of such
different degrees that trying to compare the two is just silly.