Matmos

manny at garfieldartworks.com manny at garfieldartworks.com
Thu Oct 23 12:46:52 EDT 2008

Matmos played the Warhol *twice* in *two years*. No one else could have
afforded to bring them.
the Warhol did a very good thing.

However they did not bring Negativland. the Warhol once brought Mark
Hosler to do a lecture thingy but never brought the band. Instead, I did.
Two Halloweens ago, and lost some money on it. Good show also!

I remember specifically passing out Negativland flyers at the Warhol, and
the Warhol director Sokolowski (the only time I've ever talked to him)
asking what it was, and I explained there would probably *be* no Matmos
without Negativland. Despite Negativland's quite high profile in the
alternamedia in the '90s, he had no idea who they were at all. Yet because
Matmos were gay, he was all over them like a cheap suit. It was funny.

Danielle, you should check out Merzbow's tribute to the Society for
Cutting Up Men from as long as ago as maybe 20 years back (?). Doubt it's
still in print though. :)

Hi right back!
-mt