Girl Talk, THD, etc...

Brian J. Parker brian.j.parker at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 08:50:54 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 1:36 AM, Sc'Eric (aka sc'Que) <scque at ymail.com> wrote:
> But what doesn't make sense is what Batz and I have pointed out on numerous occasions: why must we always hear about events long after the reasonable window of time in which to make plans?

To be fair, that's not always the case.  It had been with The Warhol,
but I've discovered that you have to get onto the Carnegie Museums
mailing list to get the inside scoop on what's happening at The
Warhol.  (My wife recently got a museums membership.  She loves
dinosaurs.)

Elise's Playground and Distortion are pretty good about bombarding
typical channels well in advance.  Manny... is subjective, you have to
do legwork comparatively, but considering the sheer VOLUME of shows he
does he does a very good job of it.

People who aren't in the scene, or newbie promoters, often do a poor
job reaching out to most of the subculture.  There'll be a tiny little
ad in the City Paper, or they'll put something on their MySpace and
hand out a dozen fliers at a club night, and be mystified when nobody
will "support the scene."

Outsiders think promotion is 10% advertising, 50% booking, and 40%
glamor and VIP lounges; in truth, it's 85% advertising, 10% dealing
with booking agents, and 5% running around counting money and dealing
with soundmen while other people enjoy the show and bitch about how
much you suck as a promoter.  (I don't count in that total the time
spent at your day job because most goth promoters regularly lose money
on shows.)  Not that I'm bitter or anything.