The Rage of the Stage Players present: RICHARD O'BRIENS: THE ROCKY HORROR SHOW!

The Rage of the Stage Players rageofthestage at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 19 14:10:15 EDT 2008

The Rage of the Stage Players are pleased to announce their sixteenth production, the world-renowned cult classic...
Richard O’Brien’s: The Rocky Horror Show.

Richard O’Brien’s: The Rocky Horror Show runs Fridays and Saturdays, September 5th-20th. Performances will take place at the Brew House, 2100 Mary Street, on Pittsburgh’s historic South Side. Curtain time for all performances is 8:00 p.m., with the exception of the Saturday, September 13th’s performance, which will be a special midnight show. Tickets for all performances are $15.00, cash only, and are paid at the door. For more information or to reserve tickets, please call (412) 851-0922 or email rageofthestage at yahoo.com. Please note that this production contains strong themes, language, and sexual content. It is not recommended for young or sensitive viewers.

The Rocky Horror Show was written and developed by Richard O’Brien, in collaboration with Australian theater director Jim Sharman. It opened in 1973 in London’s Theatre Upstairs, and, with the inclusion of several venue transfers, had an initial run of 2,960 performances before closing in 1980. In 1975, the play was adapted for the screen in a film starring Tim Curry, Barry Bostwick, Susan Sarandon, Meat Loaf, and even Richard O’Brien himself, to name only a few. Immensely popular around-the-world, The Rocky Horror Picture Show is considered a “midnight movie,” boasting myriad fans. The film helped to popularize many of the stage show’s songs, including Sweet Transvestite, The Time Warp, Hot Patootie—Bless My Soul, and Touch-A-Touch-A-Touch Me. It tells the story of Brad Majors and Janet Weiss, two young people, who are very much in love and engaged to be married. When a flat tire during the course of a road trip forces them out into a rain
 storm, they seek shelter and the use of a telephone at a nearby castle. However, once inside, the naïve couple quickly finds morality to be a very ill-defined ideal, as the breaking of their fragile innocence becomes sport for the transvestite master of the manor. And in short order, he and his deviant minions prove that their insatiable hunger for the pleasures of the flesh is “out-of-this-world.”

Fans of The Rage of the Stage Players’ ambitious original work, as well as their adaptations of popular folk tales and fantasy literature, will join a production company, eager to mount its first musical. Richard O’Brien’s: The Rocky Horror Show is already associated with buzz words like “edgy,” but company Co-producer and show director James Michael Shoberg has taken the source material and given it a spin that smacks of the playful creativity, which has become a hallmark of the company’s stage work. While the show’s visually re-imagined designs are being kept tightly under wraps until the its premiere, audience members will be treated to a production that gives the concept of the “time warp” a whole new meaning. So be they Rage’s devoted Pittsburgh following, Rocky “purists,” or simply theater-goers keen for something different, Shoberg is secure that audiences will not be disappointed:

“I knew from the very start that we would be treading in dangerous waters by choosing to ‘tamper’ with the familiar formula of a production whose cult following is as fiercely devoted as that of The Rocky Horror Show. However, Rage is confident that their particular take on Richard O’Brien’s memorable characters and the world in which they exist, will be well-received. Having mounted such favorites as Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, and Dracula in the past, and successfully re-introducing them to audiences through Rage’s distinct perspective, we, as a group, were certainly willing to accept the challenge once again….this time, with an added degree of difficulty…music. And as for those fiercely devoted Rocky fans, who may be new to our work, it is our hope that they will soon join our already rapidly growing audience, and stay with us for many shows yet to come.”

The Rage of the Stage Players is an educational collective of artists from various disciplines, whose mission it is to present original works of an alternative nature (horror, fantasy, black comedy, etc.), to a more mature audience, or to put forth established works in an innovative way. The Rage of the Stage Players extend the opportunity to any student or adult in the community who wish to apply an artistic skill in a theatrical setting. We strive to satisfy darker tastes in art, and thusly, have developed a fan-base composed of those who seek it. To that end, The Rage of the Stage Players welcome any and all support in their endeavor to keep such entertainment alive.
(For more information on the company: http://www.myspace.com/rageofthestage)

Attached Promotional Photo: “Stripped of both their clothing and their morals, Brad Majors (Dave Gallaher) and Janet Weiss (Erica Jureckson) fall prey to forces, which are not-of-this-world.”

Photo Credit: Joseph A. Roots and James Michael Shoberg

The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except genius.
                                                                                               -Oscar Wilde