german goth question

LstatShaft at aol.com LstatShaft at aol.com
Mon Dec 1 10:55:07 EST 2003

In a message dated 11/30/2003 11:03:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
elheme at telerama.com writes:

> I've noticed that a lot of bands such as anzwut etc use what sound like
> bagpipes in their music.  I didn't think that bagpipe are cultrally used in
> germany .. why are they used .. or are they not bagpipes?
>
> Actually, are bands like Tanzwut Unheilig, Subway to Saly even considered
> goth?

Yes.  Subway to Sally, Corvus Corax, In Extremo, Tanzwut, Qntal, etc. all
play at the various European gothic/industrial festivals.  Medieval-influenced
music has become its own distinctive gothic subgenre in Europe, which they call
"Mittelalter" although I'm probably misspelling it.  There's even a big
SCA-style medieval village at the Wave Gotik Treffen in Germany.

The most recent In Extremo single, "Kuess Mich," which is really brilliant,
has a very strong bagpipe that opens and closes the track and runs very
prominently throughout it. The song was actually Top 40 in Germany and we saw the
video all over MTV Germany.

[P]