MTV (was Re: german goth question)

B beep at telerama.com
Thu Dec 4 10:57:30 EST 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Bob spells Bob Backwards wrote:

> I assume then that mtv over there doesn't play as much dribble as it
> does here?  I'd just suposed that mtv across the world played about
> the same with very minor variations.

I got to see a good deal of Latin American MTV in Cancun.  About a month
or so ago, they were playing a lot of "new rock": The White Stripes, The
Ravonettes, and The Yeah Yeah Yeahs were in heavy rotation.  So was Iggy
Pop's catchy new single ("Little Know it All"), David Bowie's new single,
and Radiohead.  They love Radiohead.  Interestingly, a number of 90's
grunge videos too.

Lots of English on that channel, as you can see, especially when you throw
in the fact that their programming (they weren't ALL videos, but better
than U.S. MTV) included The Ozbournes and Dirty Sanchez (a bunch of guys
from the U.K. who make Jackass look harmless-- one "stunt" was a fellow
driving his forehead into a bunch of tacks to see how many would stick in
his skull).

But not all English.  Besides the latin VJ's, we frequently heard a great
band called Molotov (bought the CD), and there was a spanish rapper called
Control Machete in heavy rotation.  A few others, good and band.  Also,
they aired the sexy animated Spider-Man cartoon in Spanish.

The video of the year award goes to the band apparently channeling Spinal
Tap.  The video opens with a pterodactyl humping a spaceship, which then
lays eggs from which the band emerges.  It then gets sillier, including
guitars rising out of a lake like Excalibur.

brian j. parker
dj, geek, & black-clad cliche

dj badtz  .  http://blackbadtz.lm.com  .  all that is wrong about music