We had (some) joy

manny at telerama.com manny at telerama.com
Tue Nov 4 02:24:22 EST 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Your Fascist Dictator wrote:
> > after Killing Joke tonight, come to the Rex Theater on the South Side
> > to see the Schematic El Tour de los Guapos. The biggest IDM tour ever
> > to come to Pittsburgh!
> i was lame, and bailed on my original plan to hit
> both shows in order to try to catch up on my freelance backlog.
> i could still kick myself for missing the show at the Rex.
33 people, Geoff and I lost $152 each (total $304).
Worth doing, though - we showed Schematic we could hold it down, no
matter if heads gave a fuck or not. Rom & Josh (Phoenicia) were super
nice, Otto was his usual crazy self, Devine gave a stunning show.

BTW, Geoff got 15 people at Machine Drum tonight.
I got there late, only
caught 1/2 of Travis' set. Nice guy, super young, only 21 and he already
has 2 international distro'd albums out.
these IDM kids are very precocious.

> the definition of joy is watching Manny bug out
> with a fierceness to "Requiem"...
But they didn't play "We Have Joy". ;)
Speaking of which my joy was
mitigated by that fact that they deep-mined their first album. ("Wait",
"Change", "Wardance" yadda yadda, I was expecting to maybe even hear
"Complications"!)
Even though I did get Raven, Youth & Jaz to sign my copy of Night Time,
they actually didn't play *anything* off it even though it was clearly
their biggest record. Seemed calculated a bit to piss Americans off.
I don't know if anyone was pissed but me, though. I was shouting
"Europe" and "Kings & Queens" but after a while I gave up.

Where Jaz missed the boat is he could have changed the song "Eighties"
to "Oughties" and got the crowd totally wild with basically the exact
same lyrics being applicable as much to Dubya as to Raygun.

> though they only played about 40minutes,
> Killing Joke rocked.  there were only about
> 70-100 people there.
seriously there may have been as few as 60 by my count.
pittsburgh is really becoming a 'joke' to bands of all genres.