tomorrow: the real cultural litmus test

Joel Young joel at inreverie.org
Thu Nov 20 00:09:33 EST 2003

On Nov 19, 2003, at 9:40 PM, DennisCraigLee at aol.com wrote:

> I'm inclined to agree. Brakhage's opinion can be duly noted, then
> dismissed.
> He's not likely to punch anyone out now, is he? For art purists, I
> suggest
> they use earplugs during the performance. Sadly, that will only make
> the blood
> thump in their ears, creating an unwelcomed - gasp! - rhythm... and
> baspheming
> their god Brakhage with unsolicited sound once again. What to do?
> Perhaps
> ripping their hearts out of their bodies so that the last sight into
> their dying
> eyes is their beloved Brakhage's images.

Hehehe. It was a good performance, in any case. Ranaldo got up on the
mic right before they played and addressed the topic, saying that the
film community had been questioning their placing music to Brakhage's
films. They sort of sidestepped the issue by saying that it was not a
soundtrack -- it was a group called Text of Light, playing alongside
Brakhage's film Text of Light.

Whatever the case, I think the screening and the musical performance
complemented each other beautifully -- if for no other reason than they
helped keep me awake, which can be tough to do with an hour and a half
of abstract ambience.

ObGoth: droning ambience and indeterminate shapes of light make me
think about death and life and stuff.

Joel Young
<joel at inreverie.org>
<http://www.inreverie.org>