i'm moving to canada asap, kthx

Pauline Law plaw at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Oct 17 04:51:45 EDT 2003

Carlton Goes Dark on New LP
"Goth" album due next year

<http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=18788>

Working in San Francisco with producer, boyfriend and Third Eye Blind
frontman Stephan Jenkins, Vanessa Carlton has finished six songs for the
follow up to her 2002 Grammy-nominated debut Be Not Nobody.

"I'm singing about suicide, insomnia and paranoia," Carlton says about the
album, which isn't due until next year. "There's nothing piano recital-y
about it. It's goth."

Asked to explain, Carlton answers with a question of her own: "Do you know
what Wicca is? I believe in like spells and stuff like that. The Wicca in
me has come out. It's very dark subject matter, but the approach to
recording is very rhythmic and raw, it ends up being very spontaneous and
more human."

Among the tracks completed are the likely first single, "Private Radio,"
about insomnia; "She Floats," about "the kind of the euphoria that someone
gets when they're tortured by being dead"; "Morning Sting," about
"emotions being so raw in the morning"; and the only love song, "San
Francisco."

"I've been able to kind of just merge the Wicca and the Eighties chick,"
Carlton says. "I'm twenty-three now, and I think I'm more evolved, more
secure in who I am. I'm beyond the diary-confessional chapter of my
writing. It can get a bit heavy, but it's kind of tongue and cheek at
times, and it's not so end-of-the-world."

The recording process is also being filmed for a documentary that will be
released with the album next fall. "I think it will shed a lot of light
the direction that I am going in and where I come from," Carlton says.
"[The director] wants to name it Pleased To Meet You: Vanessa Carlton, the
New American Goth."