i'm moving to canada asap, kthx

B beep at telerama.com
Fri Oct 17 10:25:36 EDT 2003

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Pauline Law wrote:

> Asked to explain, Carlton answers with a question of her own: "Do you know
> what Wicca is? I believe in like spells and stuff like that.

...this is, unfortunately, one of the most embarrassing quotes I've ever
seen.  Modern Wicca already has a lot of trouble being taken seriously.  I
haven't been into paganism for some time, but I imagine other pagans look
at new Wiccans the same way Sci-Fi geeks regard furries...

I saw a commercial for a Barbie doll (a real Mattel Barbie) that mixes
potions and casts spells with her friends.  No joke.

Modern Wicca's strengths (as a non-centralized, individualistic spiritual
path) are a double-edged sword, as anyone can claim it and exploit it
without any real central authority to refute ridiculous claims.

This all has nothing to do with Carlton, who may be a lucid, spiritual,
intelligent woman who just didn't express herself very clearly there.  I
don't know her.  I'm just venting some frustrations about new age
charlatans and lazy spirituality (ha, like those are new problems in the
world).

brian j. parker
dj, geek, & very lazy zen buddhist