Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt

Ysobelle at aol.com Ysobelle at aol.com
Wed Oct 22 18:54:18 EDT 2003

On 10/22/03 5:42 PM, quoth the effervescent manny at telerama.com at
manny at telerama.com:

>however,
>with way goth has mass appeal nowadays in every facet of youth culture
>i am not surprised you would try to defend the merit of mass appeal.

Don't put words in my mouth. The "mass appeal" of Goth doesn't really
mean much to me one way or the other. I'm specifically debating the idea
that any band who can pull in more than 1500 people to one gig must
automatically suck. Is it inconceivable that just perhaps there could be
several thousand people who enjoy a particular band? Does every musical
act have to be so esoteric they limit their own audience? And if they
find they do have popular appeal, should they then, in your world, change
their style so they alienate just enough people to return to the "proper"
size venues? Isn't that just as artificial?

Call me crazy, but when I create something, I'm jazzed if people like it.
Whether that's ten people or ten thousand, that's still great. Once I put
something out into the world, I can't limit how many people can
experience it. Yeah, a band can put out only 500 CDs, but they can't stop
people from sharing their copies and telling friends. You can limit how
many tickets you can sell to a gig, but not how many people actually want
to buy them. Is it some kind of crime for a band to play a 2,000-seat
venue?