F.U.D. yourself [Re: Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt]

TERROR FIRMA SKY terror_firma_sky at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 04:21:39 EDT 2003

--- LstatShaft at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 10/22/2003 5:54:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> Ysobelle at aol.com writes:
>
> > I'm specifically debating the idea
> > that any band who can pull in more than 1500 people to one gig
> must
> > automatically suck. Is it inconceivable that just perhaps there
> could be
> > several thousand people who enjoy a particular band? Does every
> musical
> > act have to be so esoteric they limit their own audience? And if
> they
> > find they do have popular appeal, should they then, in your
> world, change
> > their style so they alienate just enough people to return to the
> "proper"
> > size venues? Isn't that just as artificial?
> >
> No, no, it's not artificial, it's hip.  See, as soon as too many
> people get
> to like a band, it's not hip anymore.  If you want to stay hip,
> you want to
> avoid popularity like the clap because as soon as you're popular,
> the elitist
> hipsters won't like you anymore,

Though I don't agree with Manny 100% on this, you have to admit that
most of the time the quality of bands goes when they get popular.
They may a few good major release, but it soon goes downhill. The
pressure from reocord companies to sell more records is too much.
Producers come in and change the sound. Bands start writing what
they think will be hits or people will latch onto instead of from
the heart. They start "dumbing down" the music, removing anything
that may be too complex, or too weird, or too artsy for the genral
public to embrace. After awhile most artist lose the "eye of the
tiger". They just put out any old crap that they know will sell on
reputation alone. They're to busy vacationing or managing their
investments to sit down and write a good album. They lose touch with
their audience. They may try to write stuff people can relate to,
but it just sounds so plastic hearing someone who's making millions
of dollars sing about being sad or working hard.

=====
TFS, former metal head, recovering rivet head.