Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt

LstatShaft at aol.com LstatShaft at aol.com
Thu Oct 23 15:56:33 EDT 2003

In a message dated 10/23/2003 5:46:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
terror_firma_sky at yahoo.com writes:

> I could be wrong here, I usually am. I think the point is if a
> promoter is totally profit driven then you are not going to get to
> see a wide variety of the music that's out there. I know you can't
> expect everyone to be like Manny and lose their shirt everyother
> show, but it would be nice to have more people who are willing to
> take a loss once in awhile for the sake of art.

No, you're not wrong.  Being willing to take a loss once in awhile for the
sake of art - or artist development - or to impress some girl - or to help a
friend - or to raise your hipster cred -- these are all perfectly acceptable
motivations, and I have no issue with them.

It just irks me when people think that the music business should be a fucking
charity.  If you're the Baron of Assmunch and you can afford to be a Patron
of The Arts and tell a band that their hands need never be soiled by filth
lucre again because you are going to pay all their bills and take care of them for
the rest of their lives, then you absolutely have a leg to stand on when
decrying the prominent role of money in the music business.  If you're giving a
band a hundred bucks and a pizza, then shut the fuck up and let them earn a
living.

[P]