Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt

manny at telerama.com manny at telerama.com
Thu Oct 23 15:54:21 EDT 2003

> *** And there's nothing consumers love more than having fewer choices.  Yeah,
> that scenario sure does sound great for Pittsburgh.
do you ever buy every one of the 37 brands and flavors of potato chips on
the supermarket shelf? no. is it comforting just to know the choices are
there in case you'd want to? sure, but that doesn't help the financial
status of the flavors you aren't buying. eventually some of them disappear
to be eliminated or replaced by others. the economy expands and
contracts and so do consumer choices. fewer isn't necessarily worse, nor
it is always the final result anyway.

what  you don't remember is that there was a time when people didn't have
many choices and had to do whatever everyone else did in the scene. so
now that there are *too many* choices, if one or two gets taken away, they
cry foul? disingenuous. that would be like me going into mourning and
ripping all my clothing and wearing sackcloth and ashes if they
discontinued Fritos Flavor Twists. Oh, wait a second...

> > in a room *totally* controlled by Joker..well, he would have total control.
> > his nature would prevent almost any collaborations/alliances that wouldn't
> > make him a lot of money and
> > clearly benefit him in the long haul.
> *** Someone running a business who doesn't want to do things that make money
> and clearly benefit him?  See what happens when you let capitalism run
> rampant?
there are many different types and levels of capitalism. street-level raw
is very different from wall street. the only thing you can say about
 capitalism here is what this particular person would do given the track
 record. and the track record is extreme, possessive, tooth-and-nail
competitiveness, so it's upon that which i base my asssessment.

> *** When I see Simon and Garfunkel next month, I'll be sure to yell "Manny
> Theiner thinks you suck!" at them right at the end of Sound of Silence.
be my guest, i even hated that song as a child.

> the same thing during The Chauffer when I go to see Duran Duran in a few
> weeks, except I'll be too busy drowning in my own jizz to yell much of anything.
now, that *would* be top dollar entertainment