F.U.D. yourself [Re: Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt]

LstatShaft at aol.com LstatShaft at aol.com
Thu Oct 23 15:59:04 EDT 2003

In a message dated 10/23/2003 6:22:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
terror_firma_sky at yahoo.com writes:

> Though I don't agree with Manny 100% on this, you have to admit that
> most of the time the quality of bands goes when they get popular.
> They may a few good major release, but it soon goes downhill. The
> pressure from reocord companies to sell more records is too much.
> Producers come in and change the sound. Bands start writing what
> they think will be hits or people will latch onto instead of from
> the heart. They start "dumbing down" the music, removing anything
> that may be too complex, or too weird, or too artsy for the genral
> public to embrace.

That's largely a myth.

After awhile most artist lose the "eye of the
> tiger". They just put out any old crap that they know will sell on
> reputation alone.

Unfortunately, that is not a myth, but that has to do with people - succesful
or not - who stick around in the biz far too long after they've run out of
ideas.

They're to busy vacationing or managing their
> investments to sit down and write a good album. They lose touch with
> their audience. They may try to write stuff people can relate to,
> but it just sounds so plastic hearing someone who's making millions
> of dollars sing about being sad or working hard.

Well, you've kinda hit the nail on the head with that one.  I think it's a
bit farcical to imagine that rich, successful people don't have any problems -
all the money in the world won't keep your mom from dying - but it's been a
hell of a lot harder to take Trent seriously when he talks about being depressed
and sad and alone, innit?

[P]