(no subject)

The Lord of Beer elheme at telerama.com
Mon Sep 22 16:17:08 EDT 2003

At 02:39 PM 9/22/03, you wrote:
> [...]

I'll admit that it's not my fav city, but I've seen a lot worse than
here.  Saying that there are reasons without giving them doesn't lend much
credibility to your statement.  I don't mean a detailed listing, but one or
two examples.

> > Its a safe, relatively cheap city with somewhat decent public
> > transportation and a little art & subculture everywhere.
>
>Relatively safe comapred to where?
>Quite a few shootings, muggings and other misc violent crimes reported in
>Pittsburgh weekly.
>Pittsburgh's "subculture" is at best cliched and outdated. The majority of
>Pittsburgh seems to think its either the late 70s or early 80s
>still.  Public transporation is not too bad really. It is overpriced and
>lacking in its scheduling compared to some other larger cities.

I will agree with you on public transportation.  Chicago, for example, has
a much better system and costs less.  So far as safety is concern, yeah,
Pittsburgh isn't safe but tell me which city is?  I lived in Baltimore and
have visited several cities in my driftings.  There were a lot more violent
crimes, vd, etc in Baltimore than here.

I live in Bellevue, and while that might not be my ideal place to life, it
is a rellitively place to live.  I'd rather walk around downtown pgh at
night than downtown Baltimore.  As much as I like Chicago, it's crime rate
is pretty bad.

Is Pittsburgh a great place?  I don't think it's the best but I also don't
see it as the shit hole you do.  Arguing this point is pointless.  If
someone, like my girlfriend, loves the city, that's their right .. she
loves NJ too .. no accounting for taste.  That's the right of
everyone.  Plenty of people love NYC, I visit, but I don't love it.

Rick