(no subject)

The Lord of Beer elheme at telerama.com
Mon Sep 22 16:40:22 EDT 2003

At 03:25 PM 9/22/03, you wrote:

> > cheap city
>'cheap' is most operative word for this place. it's cheap in that you can
>work a shitty job and still afford to live and drink yourself to death.
>  it's cheap in that you can raise a family without incurring major debt.
>  that's the good part.
>
>the bad part is that the 'cheapness' infects everything. it makes people
>niggardly, anti-intellectual, and unwilling to try anything new or
>unusual. it also makes it easy for anyone with any money at all to
>dominate as an elite class.

Where would you turn for intellectualism?  Yeah, Pittsburgh is a working
class town, but most people are not very intellectual or have a thin veneer.

> > Pittsburgh's "subculture" is at best cliched and outdated. The majority of
>Pittsburgh seems to think its either the late 70s or early 80s still.
>yes, but in the hippest circles in LA or NYC or SF it's around 1982
>anyway, but they're rehashing it instead of just still living in it.

I think I read that we're reliving stuff from about ten to twenty years
ago.  This tends to be the trend.  This leaves two question.  Firstly, what
were people reliving back in 1982, 1962?  Then, what will 2002 be
remembered as or even 1992?  I guess with the 90s, grunge comes to mind.
You know those "You're a child of the 80s if you remember ..."?  What will
the child of the 90s forwards look like, and what will child of the 00s
forwards look like?