Boston, was Re: dresden dolls, october 1

Pauline Law plaw at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Sep 25 12:20:46 EDT 2003

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, DarkThreads wrote:

> However, I am going to check out some of the
> clubs and goth scene while I'm up there. Anything
> I should look for in particular? I am already
> planning on Fetish Friday at club ManRay.

ick, manray.  i mean... not that i've ever been, since it'll be awhile
since i'm old enough. ;)  if you'd like there's also crypt / [whatever
industrialish sounding name it is] on wednesday at manray, as well.  i'm
not sure what night friday night is but sometimes fridays apparently get
packed.  manray is expensive, like upwards of 12 dollars.

it's useful to note that all clubs in boston are non-smoking; manray,
however, is in cambridge, and will be smoking for this one last friday
before october first comes 'round and the smoking ban goes in effect there
as well.  also, when in doubt, WEAR ALL BLACK.  they won't let you in if
you're wearing blue jeans or brown shoes or something stupid like that.
goth-casual-whatever dress is fine for the other nights.

if you're there on a monday, there's also ceremony at an tua nua, 18+,
free before 9:30.  it's on beacon street, near the kenmore t-stop in the
fenway area.  the website is http://www.ceremonyboston.com/ (though i
think its uptime is sporadic); cris, bridget, and a bunch of other people
spin; on monday, september 29th, it's goths gone wild!  endless ennui!
black jello wrestling and other things... anyway lady bee and addam are
spinning, and they are good.  atn is a bar; it's not too bad and the bar
part is pretty cool-looking, but the dancefloor is small -- it's even
smaller than the one at the upstage, and much more populated.  oof.
can't move.

if you are still there on tuesday october 7th, you should go! to
bottlerocket!!  (http://www.purp.org/bottlerocket/, o'briens, $3, 21+)
especially if a 'punk-cabaret' band is your kind of thing.  glam, punk,
metal, deathrock and whatever the fuck they feel like spinning -- that is,
purp, addam, bee and glamboy plus assorted guests.  again, i've never been
(i -almost- would have been snuck in but i was in pgh! argh!) but c'mon,
it's purp and glamboy. 'nuff said.

sundays are reverie, which is 'goth lounge night' --
http://www.reverieboston.org/ -- 21+, donations accepted, river gods in
central square.  shannon and jordan run the night.  i've heard that this
new venue is good, if a little small.

but um.. clubs are boring if you go to them every night, so the best gothy
shopping thing you should do (if you're into gargoyles and/or old things)
is go to gargoyles, grotesques and chimeras at 262 newbury street, open
sporadically between the hours of 3-7, because it's really fucking cool;
think of a salvage yard for cathedrals -- old stained glass windows,
statues, one scary mummy whom i refer to as my aunt harry, etc.  give lou
(who borders on being old enough to be my grandfather; he also went to
cmu) a hug for me.  gee, i hope it's still open; business has been bad
lately.

on newbury street is also hope, a store for mermaids and fairies and other
such things; allston beat, a trendy sorta goth clothes store; ave victor
hugo, an excellent used book shop; and newbury comics, which reminds me of
hot topic except they sell music instead of clothes and haven't
infiltrated the entire rest of the world yet.  but newbury comics has a
-really- good selection.  oh yeah, n.b.: newbury street is total fucking
yuppy tourist land.  if you walk down charles street you can probably
manage to do some antiquing too.

you can also poke by net.goth coffee (diesel cafe, davis square,
9pm-onward on thursdays) and tell them i said hi.  although i
haven't been going lately (and haven't been posting at all) so maybe
they don't know me anymore.  newbies...  diesel is loud and has a cool
atmosphere and there's always neat artwork on the walls and they make
yummy raspberry lime rickeys and carry toscanini's ice cream.  eat
toscanini's ice cream.  DO IT.

ummm... anything else?  oh yeah, boston goths are snobs, but i've found
that 95% of the time that's 'cuz they're afraid that -you- are a snob.  so
i've heard; i don't know; i'm a cute little girl.

okay, enough boston wankery.  any other questions?

pauline