Boston

Michael J. Salo salo at rcn.com
Thu Sep 25 13:43:37 EDT 2003

> ick, manray.  i mean... not that i've ever been, since it'll be awhile
> since i'm old enough. ;)

Manray is thee suck.  The only reason I ever go is because they have a near
monopoly out here.

> if you'd like there's also crypt / [whatever
> industrialish sounding name it is] on wednesday at manray, as well.

"[system]"

or maybe it was

":system:"

goth/industrial people being so incredibly creative.

> i'm
> not sure what night friday night is but sometimes fridays apparently get
> packed.  manray is expensive, like upwards of 12 dollars.

Friday nights are where you get to pay like 15 bux to be among middle aged
people in black revealing displeasing body parts, to the tune of "o
fortuna."

I avoid Friday nights.

> also, when in doubt, WEAR ALL BLACK.  they won't let you in if
> you're wearing blue jeans or brown shoes or something stupid like that.
> goth-casual-whatever dress is fine for the other nights.

Yep, only place I've ever seen that is retarded enough to have an "all
black" dress code.  I've gotten shit from the bouncers because my army
jacket is green not black, or if I desire to wear any other non-black
article of clothing.  The only way to play it safe is to wear black and
nothing but.

As a result the clubgoers have the most uniform appearance of anywhere I've
ever been.  Also it's the exact same people every week because newbies tend
to be turned away.  I've seen them turn away hot chicks because they didn't
pass dress code.  It's depressing.

I usually have more fun at 80's nights at Manray.

> if you're there on a monday, there's also ceremony at an tua nua, 18+,
> free before 9:30.  it's on beacon street, near the kenmore t-stop in the
> fenway area.  the website is http://www.ceremonyboston.com/ (though i
> think its uptime is sporadic); cris, bridget, and a bunch of other people
> spin; on monday, september 29th, it's goths gone wild!  endless ennui!
> black jello wrestling and other things... anyway lady bee and addam are
> spinning, and they are good.  atn is a bar; it's not too bad and the bar
> part is pretty cool-looking, but the dancefloor is small -- it's even
> smaller than the one at the upstage, and much more populated.  oof.
> can't move.

Ceremony (Boston) is pretty cool, it's a more enjoyable atmosphere.

One major Boston/Cambridge problem is they have to shut down at 1 AM during
the week due to repressive pilgrim laws.  It's pretty sad for a city that
size, even Pittsburgh doesn't have it that bad.  I don't remember exactly
how it goes in Pittsburgh but I think last call is at 1 AM, but they can
stay open til 2 or perhaps even as late as they want...?

> okay, enough boston wankery.  any other questions?
>

> pauline

The indie rock scene out here is looking a lot more attractive,

Michael J. Salo
www.strangefortune.com