Boston

Pauline Law plaw at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Sep 25 15:21:16 EDT 2003

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Michael J. Salo wrote:

> Manray is thee suck.  The only reason I ever go is because they have a near
> monopoly out here.

did you know manray is not, in fact, named for the photographer? it's
named for the owner.

- 100000 goth points for that.

> > if you'd like there's also crypt / [whatever
> > industrialish sounding name it is] on wednesday at manray, as well.
>
> "[system]"
>
> or maybe it was
>
> ":system:"
>
> goth/industrial people being so incredibly creative.

i remember now; it's [:system:], like [:angeldustrial:].  i'm not on that
list.

> As a result the clubgoers have the most uniform appearance of anywhere I've
> ever been.  Also it's the exact same people every week because newbies tend
> to be turned away.  I've seen them turn away hot chicks because they didn't
> pass dress code.  It's depressing.

the logic behind the dress code is that it'll keep the gawkers/fratboys
out, but i don't think manray has a monopoly on black clothes sold within
a 150 mile radius of cambridge?  talk about an inefficiently fascist
fashion police.

> One major Boston/Cambridge problem is they have to shut down at 1 AM during
> the week due to repressive pilgrim laws.

boston does have rise which is open all night, but rise is expensive.
and probably fairly yuppy, but i've never known any members.

> The indie rock scene out here is looking a lot more attractive,

yes.

so um... boston sucks, but i miss it.

pauline