Depeche Mode, voice cloans etc

Joel Young joel at inreverie.org
Fri Apr 2 16:36:47 EST 2004

On Apr 2, 2004, at 4:20 PM, Rickness wrote:

> The lecture on synthpop was interesting.  It reenforced the concept
> that it
> coms down to musical wanking. Honestly it reminds me of the different
> christian splinter groups that arose in the 17 to 2x centuries.

I'd disagree there. Sure, it can be hard to follow, and divisive among
those who have strong preferences for one or the other, but all the
subgenres provide useful terminology, especially for those people who
like to sample everything out there and compare it critically. I guess
that's wanking, but if so, then I'll happily wank off for the whole
world to see. :)

In the other extreme, you can reduce all the genre definitions to pop
(including all the goth, industrial, indie, hip hop, and what have
you), classical, and folk/international -- or hell, just call it all
"music". It all comes down to a matter of how much terminology you
want/need.

Joel Young
<joel at inreverie.org>
<http://www.inreverie.org>