rock club question

manny at telerama.com manny at telerama.com
Thu Dec 2 19:05:47 EST 2004

> channel or kmfdm, or the contrary.  i was turning the debate slightly
> to another topic, i couldn't care less about boycotting cc.  i was
> curious about the political analogy you were drawing, which turns out
> to be a foundless exaggeration.

oh really? if Clear Channel is a rightwing company, as Brian has
proved with anecdotal evidence, then how is giving them money different
than giving money to a rightwing political party?
And how is a band playing a Clear Channel show different than a band
playing a rightwing political event?

is it because the band can 'speak their mind' onstage?
but if so, what is the end result - Clear Channel still makes money on
the band. and then that money is channeled to rightwing ends.

also, let's say a band plays a series of Clear Channel dates and speaks
out against Clear Channel onstage at every show. do you think, after that,
that they will be likely to be able to play Clear Channel tours again?
I would bet not. I would be that some exec somewhere would put a hammer
down like it came down on Linda Rondstadt or the Dixie Chicks.

answer is, it's not very different at all. hence, it's not a foundless
exaggeration but quite an appropriate analogy.