80's night playlist?

deeann mikula hartmann deeann at d33ann.com
Tue Jan 13 03:36:57 EST 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Ancilla Sea-Maid wrote:

> I've googled and can't come up with anything really
> descriptive of thursday's 80's night. I'm trying to

lou's 80s nights are fun!  they aren't for those who go to a club
night to hear interesting and important music, they are superficial
hits that are just plain fun to dance to.

i've been to enough 80s nights that i should be able to come up with
something, let's see: (i'm notoriously bad at remembering song titles
and bands, but here goes)

lou will play:

the hated-by-arcane madonna mega mix (an amalgamation of her 80s hits)
some beastie boys
human league, don't you want me baby
some fun 80s metal stuff, like g-n-r or something
peter murphy, cuts you up
nin, head like a hole
eurythmics, here comes the rain again
berlin, riding on the metro
come on eileen (i don't know the band name)
erasure, respect
go-gos, our lips are sealed or vacation or something
poppy cure stuff, like just like heaven and whatnot
vanilla ice/queen-david bowie ice-ice baby/under pressure (i admit, one of my favorites)
kim wild, kids in america
some prince hits
etc., etc.

80s night is about having fun.  it will be crowded with frat
boys/sorority chicks, punks, and everyone in between.  expect the
median age to be older than ceremony (one of the reasons i loved it so
much.)  the dance floor will get packed, and everyone will be having a
really fabulous, silly time!

i know a lot of people have dissed lou, but he's a really great guy.
(i've know him for aeons!)  he's playing to the crowd, and the crowd
doesn't want to think about the music on thursdays, they want to drink
some beer and dance off their stress and laugh their asses off.  lou
isn't pretending that he's shaping someone's musical tastes for life
or edifying someone on the finer points of obscure music, he just
wants to see people having a good time and blowing off some steam by
dancing to songs they already cherish.

you should go.  the energy there is great, with that strange mix of
people and songs that you'll know, it's a recipe for just cutting
loose and having a blast.  thursdays 80s nights are definately
something that i *do* miss about pgh.

deeann mikula hartmann

"well behaved women rarely make history."
                 -laurel thatcher ulrich