The World is closing

Brian J. Parker beep at telerama.com
Fri Jul 2 11:10:29 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, arcane wrote:

> If you don't want to start a debate I don't know why you'd even bother
> to bring it up, since a one-liner like that isn't going to do anything
> to sway anyone's opinion

"That's what Bittorrent is for" was a one-liner that failed to acknowledge
that there would be a reason someone wouldn't want to use it.

You're absolutely right, though; it was a pointless swipe and I shouldn't
have brought it up.  Or, if I had, to be fair and neutral, I should have
also noted that you might not use it for technical reasons, like a slow
connection.  (But since Ysobelle said she has DSL, that presumably wasn't
an issue.)

Shame on me.  I have strong opinions on the subject and I should be better
at keeping them to myself.  To me, downloading movies and shows is little
different from stealing a DVD from a store, and it's hard to tacitly
approve of the practice by letting it go without comment.  On the other
hand, that's probably the argument that abortion protesters use, and I'd
hardly want to be lumped in with that lot.

Brian