pittsburgh wins

Pauline Law plaw at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Mar 9 01:39:30 EST 2004

dear pgh goth list,

earlier tonight, i went to ceremony boston. of course, since ceremony
boston is 18+, thereby keeping out the revitalizing, entertaining force
that minors are, i had to pull that, "well, i'm from pittsburgh, and i
left my id there, but, um, here's my college id, i don't know if you
care, i'm underage anyway" thing...

anywho. ceremony is held in the back of this irish pub. it was early when
i left (circa 11:30pm), but there were not very many people at all. they
were often fancily dressed. i was the only one not in entirely black (for
fuck's sake, i felt pretty underdressed in gray plaid pants, black shirt
and chucks!) or not in foppy pirate clothing.

i had never stayed at ceremony solely for the club night, since the one
other time i did that sneaky underage sneaking in incognito thing was for
a friend's band and then we left immediately afterwards. what to say about
them.. they danced stupidly. i like to refer to it as 'robot shadow
dancing', where as my dance style is 'rock and roll hero'. it was really
dumb.  the dance area is small (it's a small night) and too heavily lit
with lots of fog and a purple cast everywhere.

and the music! you will definitely find me complaining about music at
ceremony pgh, but not only was it all ebm (which people were not even
dancing very much to), it was all ebm that sounded one hundred percent
exactly the same. a girl can only take so much funker vogt, after all.
the opening hour, in which they spin 'difficult' and 'esoteric' music, was
cheesy orchestral goth contemporary classical or whatever.. or maybe it
was just baroque. you know, i do like baroque music, but in a fucking
dance club? talk about sticks up one's ass. salo agrees - people are more
uptight here.  you would *never* hear something like the rapture there..
which is cool, you know, the rapture just aren't goth, but it seemed like
all the artists they played had formed before 1996. good job on the
diversity, guys.

because i am sleep deprived, a. this email makes little sense and b. i
knocked salo's drink out of his hand right before i left. i am BRILLIANT.
at my prompting, salo came out instead of being a hermit, and leaked and
trickled yet another story about his/bradley/kevin/william eisenhower (i
think these were all the names that were brought up, maybe that guy
twiggy? swiggy? guy who stole a bunch of ephedrine from morewood
basement?)'s haven house days.  oh boy.

so yeah - i may knock it, but ceremony pgh is 100% better than ceremony
boston and more interesting and the music is more diverse and the people
are funner to watch and hang out with and *boy* those goths were not
terribly hot, whereas everyone i know here is smokin'. i guess it's
because, in a gothtropolis like boston, there are lots of goths around so
one can afford to be insular and still have variety in one's social life -
whereas pgh kids need to mix it up a little or else they would know and
date within the same very small number of people.

manray.. oh boy. i don't even need to go to manray to know that i don't
really need to go there.

pauline