Turn Pale/Radio Berlin

DarkThreads mirv01 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 11 10:42:14 EST 2004

--- manny at telerama.com wrote:
> I'm not gonna hurt you, but you fail to
> understand.

Yep, you are absolutely right. I am TOO OLD to
understand all these categories--and I don't even
remember when I first started hearing the word
"goth" being used to describe music that I liked.
So I am not even going to try to understand
exactly what is meant by "goth" these days.
However, I did see Turn Pale already and liked
them the least out of all the other bands on that
bill, and not because they were more "rock"
sounding, but because their performance just
wasn't catchy, it didn't grab me. I think of the
term "garage" as meaning rough around the edges,
unpolished. Maybe the White Stripes fall into
that category but I wouldn't call them rough or
unpolished.

Okay so just in defense of manny and his
"categories," maybe we do need them because they
give us a language to help us talk/write about
music and describe it to other people. But I've
grown up with/watched this music evolve, and have
my own opinions about where it came from and what
it sounds like &etc. and I didn't get to make up
the categories--someone else was doing that and
forgot to send me the memos. I also have trouble
remembering all the bands I've seen. Maybe I
should always take a notepad with me.

Anyway, I like LOTS of different kinds of music,
not just "ethereal." And I don't even like all
the "ethereal" stuff. I either like a band or
not, regardless of the genre. I guess I'm with
Victoria on this and I have two categories: stuff
I like and stuff that I don't like.

mirv

=====
Megan Irvine <mirv at darkthreads.com>
a.k.a. mirv, a.k.a. Mavi (min Khafif), a.k.a. DarkThreads
http://www.darkthreads.com
Livejournal: http://www.livejournal.com/~mirvana
"Love and stoplights can be cruel." --Sesame Street