[netgoth] Please Stop Playing Skinny Puppy or We Will Boycott Your Station

Mojito Liberation Front deadwinter at diabolis.net
Mon Nov 22 14:53:36 EST 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Pauline Law wrote:

> HA HA HA
>
> does anyone find this as funny as i do?  i got it as part of my
> program director email at WRCT. woo-hoo, i'm so scared that people who
> don't typically even listen to college radio will start to not listen
> to my radio station with intent!!

[snipped for lenght]
> people of this country have the power as evident by
> our boycott of the Reagan miniseries, the Superbowl,
> and the Dixie Chicks. If you still choose to play
> their music we have the ability to put financial
> pressure on your station through boycotts. Please
> remove Skinny Puppy from rotation or we will have no
> choice but to boycott your station.
>
> Currently, your station is listed on the boycott list
> found here:
> http://www.pabaah.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=717

Ah, good old thug populism.  Poor John must be turning in his grave:

"Protection, therefore, against the tyranny of the magistrate is not
enough: there needs protection also against the tyranny of the prevailing
opinion and feeling; against the tendency of society to impose, by other
means than civil penalties, its own ideas and practices as rules of
conduct on those who dissent from them; to fetter the development, and, if
possible, prevent the formation, of any individuality not in harmony with
its ways, and compel all characters to fashion themselves upon the model
of its own. There is a limit to the legitimate interference of collective
opinion with individual independence: and to find that limit, and maintain
it against encroachment, is as indispensable to a good condition of human
affairs, as protection against political despotism"

John Stuart Mill, "On Liberty"

-DW