rock club question

manny at telerama.com manny at telerama.com
Tue Nov 30 21:32:08 EST 2004

Please do not attend Clear Channel shows, especially mid-size ones.
If a band that you like plays a Clear Channel show, you need to muster
the resolve to steel yourself to boycott the show, and tell the
band (by e-mail, letter, etc) that you disagree with their choice,
or the choice of their booking agent, to work with Clear Channel.
If dozens of people that I know personally had the sense to NOT
attend the Fantomas show and to find other shows to go to that
night, you can easily do the same. I sent a letter to Ipecac Records
with more than fifty signatures, you can easily send your own to
that band you like.

It is disgraceful to see the female singer from KMFDM - as documented
in Deek magazine's new issue - try to justify taking money from Clear
Channel. At least to their credit, Deek readliy exposed KMFDM's
hypocrisy to anyone who is reading carefully, You can't say the same
about the City Paper and Post-Gazette, who totally allowed their
hero-worship of Steve Earle to blind them to the fact that Earle was
railing against Clear Channel in print, yet taking their money. There was
no mention of Earle's blatant hypocrisy (nor that of Le Tigre, Yo La
Tengo, Ministry, or anyone else who protested against Bush on the
one hand but took money from Bush's Clear Channel buddies with the
other) in either paper.

Skinny Puppy did not play a Clear Channel show. Not in Philly, and
not in Pittsburgh (I don't know about elsewhere). Neither did Legendary
Pink Dots. Pigface won't either. There's no reason why bands that are
their exact peers need to play Clear Channel venues. Other than
money and sheer laziness and collusion on the part of booking agents.

A line in the sand of Zero Collusion needs to be drawn now while it's
possible and relevant to do so. You wouldn't send a contribution to
the Republican Party, so why would you contribute to Clear Channel?
If bands stick to a network of independent non-Clear Channel promoters
they can still set up tours, at least on the mid-size and small-size venue
levels.

BTW did you notice how Clear Channel in Pittsburgh recently turned
into a 'friendly face' as an obfuscating tactic? As of 3
weeks ago, their ads in the City Paper started listing the URL of
'pittsburghconcerts.com' instead of 'cc.com', as if to identify themselves
more closely with the region, as well as to try and claim the mantle of
'all concerts in Pittsburgh that you'd want to see are now ours'.

Plus, they've removed the Clear Channel logo from the ads and replaced
it with Belkin Productions to make it look like they're an independent
promoter. Meanwhile, ironically, Belkin (swallowed up by Clear Channel
years ago as was Dicesare Engler) is not based in Pittsburgh, they are
based in CLEVELAND. 'pittsburghconcerts.com' indeed!