rock club question

manny at telerama.com manny at telerama.com
Tue Nov 30 23:59:22 EST 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, deeann mikula hartmann wrote:

> > possible and relevant to do so. You wouldn't send a contribution to
> > the Republican Party, so why would you contribute to Clear Channel?
> while i've always been convinced that CC were wankers, i'm not
> familiar with their direct ties to the republican party.  can someone
> (or you, manny) clue me in with some reliably sourced articles and
> such supporting that statement?

i was drawing an analogy. i don't need to go hunting around for
articles.

whether or not CC has ties to the Repub Party (and with Repub-style
moves of canning Howard Stern and preventing certain post-9/11 songs
from being played, and with benefiting from massive radio deregulation,
they certainly act like Republicans)  is not the only issue. Steve
Earle denounced Rupert Murdoch (who CERTAINLY is rightwing Repub) and
Clear Channel in one breath, yet he took money from CC.

if you disagree with what the monolithic company is doing, i.e.
crushing independent music promotion wherever it can, and monopolizing
as many means of media and entertainment as it can, then you
don't give money to it, period, even if they are shilling your fave band

> i also have to admit that i didn't realize that kmfdm was in bed with
> CC.  i can't imagine that CC is the one who promotes their shows here,
> as this is their home town and they basically play at one of the goth
> clubs here.  (i'm not a big fan, but they do put on a *really* fun
> show!)

kMFDM is 'in bed' with CC only to the point that they are playing CC
shows. I don't know how many dates that involves. I just know what
happens here, in Pittsburgh.

What happens here is that Steve Earle, KMFDM, Ministry, Yo La Tengo,
and Le Tigre all speak out against the right wing but they they take
money from Clear Channel. I don't know about Mike Patton's political
persuasion but the same goes for him too, he runs an indie label.

And I've pointed out that others have stuck to the independent route,
both here and elsewhere.

That's it.