DJ Badtz @ The Upstage tomorrow (Friday, October 15)

Brian J. Parker beep at telerama.com
Fri Oct 15 09:41:33 EDT 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Christy wrote:

> It's not just the current popularity of a band that determines price.
> Was it a large venue, or was it a club like Laga? Was it part of a
> national tour?

If they're at Mr. Smalls, it's smaller than Laga, and likely to be a
pretty miserable experience.  I saw They Might Be Giants there recently,
and they had no air conditioning.  The venue has its heart in the right
place but I wouldn't go to a show where the crowd was likely to be over
300.

And we're spoiled in Pittsburgh.  The aforementioned TMBG show cost me
less than $30, for a (to me) better and more famous act.  Personal
preference comes into play-- for some folks, yes, as I acknowledged in my
original message, $30 is totally worth it.  But I would probably enjoy any
number of smaller acts with lower ticket prices much more.  (The Icon of
Coil cancellation crushed me!)

Hell, given Ministry and MLWTTKK's recent output, I personally would
probably give my $30 to Sree first[1] if I had it to spare.  It's all
subjective.

Brian

[1] The Sree's-- who have a CMU lunch truck and a take out cafe in
Squill-- lost their resteraunt in the recent flood and were never able to
insure it.  They've been doling out huge $4 vegan-friendly meals for a
long time now.  Someone is collecting money for them.  To read more (and
donate?):  http://www.livejournal.com/users/beeporama/131321.html