IT jobs question

Brian J. Parker beep at telerama.com
Mon Feb 14 13:35:47 EST 2005

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 tundra at telerama.com wrote:

> sorry for the non-goth content, but my cousin is moving here and going
> to the Art Institute.  He will be looking for web/IT jobs while going
> to school.  Any suggestions on where to look?

The usual job boards (like Monster.com) aren't a bad place to start; he
should post his resume and read what's posted.  Can't hurt to check
Craiglist (http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/) either, or the Post-Gazette
(http://www.post-gazette.com/).

Depending on where he lives, checking the websites of big Oakland
employers (pitt.edu, cmu.edu, upmc.com) might be fruitful, since they
often don't post elsewhere.

In fact, so many jobs are gotten through networking that I would recommend
he talk to everyone he can.  Get his ass on IRC, online communities, etc.,
politely asking advice from as many people as possible.

Depending on where he's from, setting his expectations appropriately might
be in order.  Cost of living is lower in Pittsburgh than in many cities,
with salaries commesurately a little lower.  If he's entry-level, he
should be ready to be very aggressive in his search; anecdotally, I found
the entry-level I.T. market to be very tough here, since we have so many
universities.

Wish him well!

Brian