summer reading

Christopher tm xopher.tm at gmail.com
Thu May 12 21:12:18 EDT 2005

> > The Book on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are by Alan Watts. -
> > Eastern philosophy boiled down to it's essence. I reread every couple
> > years.
>
> This sounds interesting. I've been thinking of dipping into some Eastern
> philosophy. What's it like?

If you have no background  or knowledge of any of the Eastern
mysticism (i.e., Buddhism & Hinduism especially) - and no real desire
to delve any deeper - it is a good, short book that quickly beats to
death the single simple premise that there is no real separation
between You, Me, and That Over There; that we are all fragments of One
Living Organism. I've just saved you $8.95. I reread it every so often
to help re-remind myself to stop hating the world and the greater
portion of its population.

If you want a good, more in-depth, but plainly-stated introduction to
Buddhism specifically, I highly recommend the book "Buddhism" by
Christmas Humphries.

> I'm ODing on the Goth thing over here, though for slightly more pragmatic
> reasons.
>
> "The Light Beyond," by Dr. Raymond Moody
>
> "The Tunnel and the Light: Essential Insights on Living and Dying," by
> Elisabeth Kubler-Ross.
>
> "A Year To Live," by Stephen Levine

Any particular reason, that you'd care to share, that you've selected these?

--
Christopher™

Nemo malus felix.