Voices of Masada, et.al

Sc'Eric (aka darkFIN) darkfin6012 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 19 07:06:39 EDT 2005

So, does anyone have any serious thoughts on the attendance problem???  I really don't know how Philly holds as a many events as they do.  Their carrying capacity is much larger than most places....  Still, my thought is that there are currently too many weekly events.  Perhaps promoters need to scale back the frequency, while still making it a regular thing?

I'd be curious to know how Jim's numbers compare at Eide's.  Are the diminishing numbers concurrent with events trends or are folks just prioritising their more-limited funds toward something more tangible?  (Of course, the whole filesharing thing throws a wildcard in there that makes it hard to gauge, too.)  I know I'm personally working 17 hours more per week than I was 10 years ago, making not much more than I was then--plus, when you account for inflation... maybe less.  I'm definitely drinking less, enjoying better food (but much less often) and have a much more limited social life.

It's time to shake things up, dammit!!!  We need to look at this in a different way.  What is and isn't working in the scene, Pgh at least?  Why didn't folks to go VoM?  To those who went, why didn't you go to the noise show last month or whatever other show you decided not to hit?  It just seems to me that when folks aren't going out, the promoters never know why and can't plan accordingly.  Promoters also can't currently hold events often enough to gauge necessary demographics.  Should bigger shows happen on a less-frequent-but-regular basis?  I'm talking bigger-name festivals and events like Providence Industrial Festival and Drac's Ball, instead of single-headliner shows like usually happen.

Yes, they take much-much more planning, but if you can convince 400 ppl to all take off work the same day by promoting months in advance is better than expecting 100 and getting 20.  Am I making sense?

~sc'eric

Message: 1