Voices of Masada, et.al

manny@telerama.com manny at telerama.com
Mon Sep 19 17:23:22 EDT 2005

Dear peeps-

It's nice that the Voices of Masada show somehow engendered more traffic on this
list than has been seen in a year. I liked this list and was sad when people
seemed to traipse off into other things like chat and journal etc.

But really it's quite strange that it's all based around this one small show.
I could see people scratching their heads if VNV Nation came here, whoever
promoted it expected 300, and only 20 people came.

But this is a tiny, small band that no one had heard of. I guarantee them $100
just to be nice because they're from England, and promise to provide food and
drinks and backline equipment to be nice too. I'm hoping that 15 people will
come to this to cover the costs. And only 10 people do. It's not that big a
deal. I lost only $50 and I'm not complaining about this one - in fact if you
look back, you'll see I haven't complained in years.

Yes, it seems goth shows are smaller now because of no Laga and other youthful
cultural factors - as Brian has pointed out - but in truth
by reducing band and venue costs many recent shows, such as ones done by me
(Attrition, Hungry Lucy) or Mario (The Last Dance) or Jim (he has one coming up
- Psyclon 9 this Thursday!) have been made viable nonetheless. I commend folks
such as ScEric or Tamara or Pauline or whoever else comes out regularly to
these things, and I hope you will also try to branch out and check out similar
things like noise, dark-ambient, IDM, new wave/postpunk and so on that also
have relevance to the goth/industrial scene.

That's about it, thanks for the discussion and keep tuned to this list and
pghgoth.com and garfieldartworks.com and so on.

-MT