Voices of Masada, et.al

The Caped Avenger cpdavngr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 22:42:03 EDT 2005

Also, it's not just goth shows being affected by show attendance. The metal
scene is being hurt by show attendance as well and probably other scenes I
would imagine. There's a metal show EVERY Saturday at Peter's Pub in Oakland
with I.C.U.M. and they even have a tough time sometimes getting NEW faces to
come out to shows. My roommate told me that the crowd from last night's
metal show at the Garfield Artworks consisted of my roommate and her friend.
THAT'S IT, TWO PEOPLE. The rest of the crowd was just the bands. WTF?
I don't think people understand that they ARE the scene. WIthout the fans,
the scene dies. COME OUT TO SHOWS PEOPLE. Don't be afraid to spend a measily
$5.00 to see a bunch of bands you may never have heard of. You just MIGHT
find something new that you really enjoy and supporting the type of scene
you love in the process.
My suggestion is that there needs to be a new venue in Oakland, somewhere
that students can WALK to and stagger home from. Most of the venues require
buses or cars now for all the college students to get to. I dunno if they're
afraid of getting too drunk or just plain lazy, but I think this is a
factor. We had no problem with attendance with shows when Laga was still
around, that place was almost ALWAYS PACKED no matter WHO was there. When
that Johnny Rotten's or whatever the hell it's called now closes, someone
KEWL needs to scoop that place up and turn it into a new venue!
This is probably just a pipe dream I know, but I hope it's not much of a
pipe dream to see MORE people going to shows, no matter WHAT they are!!!
 Ralphie :)
  On 9/19/05, Sc'Eric (aka darkFIN) <darkfin6012 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> So, does anyone have any serious thoughts on the attendance problem??? I
> really don't know how Philly holds as a many events as they do. Their
> carrying capacity is much larger than most places.... Still, my thought is
> that there are currently too many weekly events. Perhaps promoters need to
> scale back the frequency, while still making it a regular thing?
>
> I'd be curious to know how Jim's numbers compare at Eide's. Are the
> diminishing numbers concurrent with events trends or are folks just
> prioritising their more-limited funds toward something more tangible? (Of
> course, the whole filesharing thing throws a wildcard in there that makes it
> hard to gauge, too.) I know I'm personally working 17 hours more per week
> than I was 10 years ago, making not much more than I was then--plus, when
> you account for inflation... maybe less. I'm definitely drinking less,
> enjoying better food (but much less often) and have a much more limited
> social life.
>
> It's time to shake things up, dammit!!! We need to look at this in a
> different way. What is and isn't working in the scene, Pgh at least? Why
> didn't folks to go VoM? To those who went, why didn't you go to the noise
> show last month or whatever other show you decided not to hit? It just seems
> to me that when folks aren't going out, the promoters never know why and
> can't plan accordingly. Promoters also can't currently hold events often
> enough to gauge necessary demographics. Should bigger shows happen on a
> less-frequent-but-regular basis? I'm talking bigger-name festivals and
> events like Providence Industrial Festival and Drac's Ball, instead of
> single-headliner shows like usually happen.
>
> Yes, they take much-much more planning, but if you can convince 400 ppl to
> all take off work the same day by promoting months in advance is better than
> expecting 100 and getting 20. Am I making sense?
>
> ~sc'eric
>
> pgh-goth-list-request at listless.org wrote:
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 16:54:17 -0700 (PDT)
> From: RPD girl
> Subject: Voices of Masada
>
> I thought they were pretty awesome, but shame, there
> was like, noone there.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:43:11 -0400
> From: "Jordan Harris"
> Subject: Re: Voices of Masada
>
> Agreed. While I wouldn't say they're a ground-breaking band, they're
> definitely skilled and know what they're doing. And from a brief
> conversation, pretty friendly. It's a pretty rare occasion when a Goth
> rock
> band comes to town these days.
>
> But this sort of thing is pretty common here. Within the last few years,
> concert attendance has gotten worse and worse at shows. It's become a grim
> fact for most bands and promoters. First time Attrition came to
> Pittsburgh,
> [...]

The Caped Avenger