triphop, old-school goth-rock, IDM, noise, power-tronics, etc....

Brian J. Parker brian.j.parker at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 12:48:47 EST 2006

Well, only two or three people replied, which isn't quite
representative.  I would like to hear more feedback.

But Ceremony is a dance night and built around a dancefloor, so a
focus on dance music probably won't change.  That's not to say that
there isn't a place for other formats.  I did a loungey night at The
Pollinator when it was open, and Electro-Retro was very much the kind
of thing you'd like.  People working in smaller spaces or on
weeknights should embrace that atmosphere as well, dealing not just in
IDM but in other atmospheric music.

We do happily play "doesn't pack the dancefloor" music for the first
hour, hour-and-a-half of Ceremony.  But when you're working in a space
with a large central dancefloor on a Saturday night, a focus on dance
music makes sense.  We've been successful for long enough that I think
we're generally doing the right thing; but I do like to engage
everyone in determining the flavor and spice of the main course.