local electronic acts, an example

manny@telerama.com manny at telerama.com
Wed Feb 22 00:58:44 EST 2006

Quoting "Deeann M.M. Mikula" <deeann at d33ann.com>:

> Sigh.  Manny, you have so much to offer, when will you stop insulting
> your audiences and simply INVITE them to your shows, instead of
> informing othem of how stupid and uncultured they are not to go?

Dee, you act like I'm insulting people every day of my life.
But I put up posters all over town, and there are no insults on them.
There are no insults in the previews my shows get in the local papers.
There are no insults on the show listings on pghgoth.com or on any of the sites
that post my shows, nor on the garfield artworks website.
There is just information all over the place about these shows, which people can
take advantage of, or not.
It just so happens that as far as the people on the gothlist go, the answer
is usually 'not'. In that respect, they are no different from rest of the vast
population. Except for the fact that they purport to be interested in
underground / dark / electronic music.

 I haven't said anything of significance on this list for well over a year.
And in fact this list has been dead for that long, hardly any posts.
The only thing that seems to ever bring it back to life is some kind of
controversy. Or maybe an infusion of new blood.

I sat back for six months and said nothing and just posted show announcements,
they still wouldn't go to shows. They would simply ignore the announcement of
bands they've never heard of and nothing would change. The scene has become
25-30 people who go to see whatever I might be doing or Jim Semonik might be
doing. That's about it. So might as well ruffle a few feathers. At least then,
some people are paying attention, for good or for ill. Then, they can decide
for themselves.

If you are interested in underground, dark, electronic music, you should know
that there is plenty of it that does NOT get played at your local danceclub.
If you are interested in moving beyond what is played there, you would have to
seek it out. But I make it easier for you. I bring it to you. You can ignore
these show announcements or not, as you like, but you cannot claim
ignorance and say you did not know what was going on. Because I am telling you.
You can claim ignorance of the music. But not of the event itself. It is up to
you to decide what to do with this information.