triphop, old-school goth-rock, IDM, noise, power-tronics, etc....

j eric townsend jet at flatline.net
Wed Feb 22 00:39:59 EST 2006

At 23:37 -0500 2/21/06, manny at telerama.com wrote:
>Quoting j eric townsend <jet at flatline.net>:
>
>> Even in the SF bay area it was hard to keep any sort of downtempo/IDM club
>> packed.  I think it worked really well in chill rooms or spaces that were set
>> up for some other event or purpose like cafes, social clubs, etc.
>
>Not exactly correct, if the e-mails I get are accurate.
>I'm on the mailing list for an organization called Blasthaus, that does events
>in SF for IDM, electro & minimal-techno artists. They've been going for several
>years, they must be doing OK. XLR8R Magazine writes about the SF scene a lot.

Ever attended any of the events?

The SF scene is, um, well, extremely full of itself.   I've been to heavily promoted events where there were all of a dozen people in attendance.    I went to a show headlined by Autechre that was perhaps one of the worst events I've ever attended in terms of production quality and entertainment value.  They couldn't even run a *bar*, much less sound, willcall or anything else.  We went home 5 minutes into Autechre's set because we couldn't tell if Autechre sucked live or if the venue didn't know what it was doing.  After a few hours of overpriced drinks and then the bar *running dry* it simply didn't matter.

There are massive raves in SF with multiple rooms that rock hard.  At the same time, many events suck harder than one could ever imagine or are excellent and just don't draw the crowds.  "Methadone Clinic" was brilliant, but I think there were maybe 20 people there on a good night.    Same goes for the Jack Dangers (he of Meat Beat Manifesto) and Tino Corp events in SF: everyone talked it up big time, but only a dozen or so people showed up on any given night.   Those of us who did had a great time, but it wasn't very encouraging for the bar of the promoters.

--
jet / KG6ZVQ
jet at flatline.net
pgp:   0xD0D8C2E8  AC9B 0A23 C61A 1B4A 27C5  F799 A681 3C11 D0D8 C2E8