triphop, old-school goth-rock, IDM, noise, power-tronics, etc....

manny@telerama.com manny at telerama.com
Wed Feb 22 09:15:46 EST 2006

Quoting j eric townsend <jet at flatline.net>:

> Ever attended any of the events?

No I've never been to SF, I just get e-mails and read about it.
The furthest west I've ever been is Austin.

> The SF scene is, um, well, extremely full of itself.   I've been to heavily
> promoted events where there were all of a dozen people in attendance.

Interesting. I guess don't believe the hype eh?

What about stuff at the DNA Lounge? (owned, incidentally, by Pittsburgh
native and fellow Allderdice grad Jamie Zawinski, who cashed out his share
from Netscape and bought the club, apparently enduring a lot of heartache
with the city in the process..)

Yet I *have* been to electronic events where loads of people do show up.
I was at an IDM event in Austin where there were 200 people.
And I think bigger things happen in Miami, or Chicago, or maybe even Seattle and
Portland (don't know if Dee can back me up on this). Somebody must be showing
up when Autechre plays (there were 200+ people at the Columbus show at the
Wexner Center back in 2000), or the Ae boys wouldn't be getting their fat
duckets.

It'll be interesting to see the size of the crowd at Prefuse, given the large
'crossover' rep that Scott Herren has, whether it translates to heads in Pgh,
or whether people around here still don't know who he is...