triphop, old-school goth-rock, IDM, noise, power-tronics, etc....

Jeremy David epistemology at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 09:22:52 EST 2006

On 2/22/06, j eric townsend <jet at flatline.net> wrote:
> The SF scene is, um, well, extremely full of itself ...  They couldn't even run a *bar*...

SF has a *bar* at their local IDM venue? An actual bar? Damn, they
have it good. The last time I went to a local PGH IDM show, which was
more than a year ago, the venue in Garfield didn't even have a soda
machine, or an operating bathroom. Not that I required one, because
there was nothing to drink anyway, unless of course I wanted to walk
to the convenience store down the street.

Here's a short play I wrote entitled, How To Make Sure That Someone
Who Actually Likes Music Never Ever Comes Back To Another Stupid
Concert Of Yours

---

Act I

Patron: "Boy, I sure am famished. Can I have a beer?"

Promoter: "No."

Patron "How about a Pepsi?"

Promoter: "Nope."

Patron: "Sprite?"

Promoter: "You must be joking."

Patron "OK then. How about a glass of water?"

Promoter: "We don't have fancy things like 'water' in this
establishment. Are you so concerned with your mere physical needs that
you can't appreciate this *intelligent* dance music?!"

Patron: "Fine. Where can I go take a piss?"

Promoter: "Good luck! I think the McDonald's might still be open. It's
only about a half mile away!"

Fin

---

I don't think I'm being unreasonable when I think that sitting on an
old folding chair in an under-heated tenement with no refreshment, and
not even a literal pot to piss in is no way for a human being to spend
an evening out on the town.

Look. Most punk music blows, but even the most DIY punks understand
the basic elements required for a dance party: food, drink, a working
bathroom, climate control, and a band containing at least one person
who can play an actual instrument.