triphop, old-school goth-rock, IDM, noise, power-tronics, etc....

Adam Rixey arixey at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 13:37:04 EST 2006

A response in three parts.

The rational response:
I have to agree that the amenities of a venue are one of the major
factors in determining what shows I go to.  If I have to sit around
for two hours waiting for a late-running show, will it be a
comfortable two hours?  Am I going to be in a barren, unheated
concrete room the size of a small shack assaulted by 150db speakers
appropriate for an arena?  Will I spend the next three days smelling
like smoke and coughing up black bits of my lungs?  Do I have to get
up early for work in the morning?  These are all things I weigh when
deciding on shows.

I'd go see one of my favorite bands in a cesspool, but if it's someone
I've never heard before and am not familiar with, I'm long past the
days of putting up with crappy experiences.  (Anybody else remember
way back when Manny used to put on shows at places like the long-gone
Luciano's?  That was an example of a good venue to go be exposed to
new bands.  I have no comment on Garfield Artworks, as I've never been
and don't even live around Pgh any more.)

The flame wank:
Jeremy, your closed mind and lack of street cred sickens me.
Everybody knows that IDM fans are the most DIY of DIY groups out there
-- as rabid pissdrinkers they require neither beverages nor bathrooms.
 Your complaints disrespect their subculture and their right to
sustain each other through a long show, and your desire for a bar just
shows how much you have sold out to capitalism and The Man.  You
should stick to just going to Clear Channel-approved artists and
venues, you pathetic mainstream consumer of mass-marketed corporate
pablum.

The final cessation:
Hitler was also a pissdrinker and IDM fan.

--
Adam Rixey