eMusic

gwen gwenix at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 14:26:34 EDT 2006

On 7/17/06, Brian Pennington <cellophanesky at mac.com> wrote:
> as soon as you stop paying money, you lose all your music. And at
> that, none except eMusic and iTunes work with iPods.

I think http://www.allofmp3.com/ works with iPods as well, since it's
just mp3 standard.  I can't verify this, though, since my iPod broke
before I started getting mp3s (second-hand) from there.  But I don't
see why they wouldn't work.

I don't directly use any mp3 sites these days -- I tried emusic once,
and while I liked them, they lost my account information after a month
and wouldn't answer my queries about what happened.  Fortunately, it
looked from my bank statement like they also lost my financial
information when they lost the account, so I didn't try very hard
after the initial run.  Further, I lost almost all of those mp3s in
one of the great hard drive wipes (sigh), so I pretty much stick to
ripping CDs these days.  The times I don't is when I'm being
recommended music by a friend (and I try to buy the hard copies to
back up my mp3 collection if I like them).

Anyway, a friend of mine swears by allofmp3.com, though, so I'd be
remiss in not mentioning them somewhere in the topic.  It's a
pay-as-you-download service, and each album is only about a dollar.
The only problem is that the RIAA is trying to sue them (which may or
may not work, since they're not based in the US), so there's a chance
they may go away someday soon.

--
gwen.
gamergothgeek