eMusic

Brian Pennington cellophanesky at mac.com
Mon Jul 17 17:04:04 EDT 2006

Can I just throw a third vote of support out for eMusic. It's easier
to find music on there than it is to pirate it, it's very cheap (less
than buying one album a month). Plus you know that the money you pay
is indeed going to the struggling artists and labels. You can
complement it with iTunes purchases of major label records, or of
course Soulseek or the like.  The major difference between eMusic and
competitors: most work on the principle that you rent your music, and
as soon as you stop paying money, you lose all your music. And at
that, none except eMusic and iTunes work with iPods.

As far as labels and genres, the extent of eMusic is impressive. They
have every major US indie rock label with the exception of Sub-Pop
(Merge, Matador, K, Kill Rock Stars and Touch & Go). A good selection
of electronic labels (Ghostly Int'l, Get Physical), about half of the
UK's massive genre-unspecific indies (present are 4AD, V2, Cherry Red
and Beggar's Banquet, missing are Mute and Rough Trade), it includes
most of amazing reissue label Les Temps Modernes' catalog (including
nearly every Factory Records artist aside from Joy Division and New
Order) and a smattering of random releases which were on majors in
their day but are now published by indies (Ray Charles, the entire
Sun Records catalog including Johnny Cash's discography, Nancy
Sinatra, everything on Rykodisc including PHM, various one-hit
wonders and cult groups from the 60s to the 80s).

Seriously, it's one of the best things I ever did for my music
collection. If you find yourself in a position where you hear names
of groups and never get a chance to hear them, this is perfect.