eMusic

Brian J. Parker brian.j.parker at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 14:45:05 EDT 2006

On 7/18/06, gwen <gwenix at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyway, a friend of mine swears by allofmp3.com, though, so I'd be
> remiss in not mentioning them somewhere in the topic.  It's a
> pay-as-you-download service, and each album is only about a dollar.
> The only problem is that the RIAA is trying to sue them (which may or
> may not work, since they're not based in the US), so there's a chance
> they may go away someday soon.

There is legal action against them in the U.K., too.  Search
http://news.bbc.co.uk/ for allofmp3 for info; basically, they believe
that they are following Russia's lax copyright laws (which do not
cover digital media), and are "not responsible for the actions of
foreign users."

Labels and artists do not get any money if you purchase from
allofmp3.com.  If your code of ethics dissuades you from pirating
music, you'll probably wish to avoid this service.  Mine does, but I
have little desire to lecture anyone or start a flamewar on the
subject.