the Jeremy beef

manny at telerama.com manny at telerama.com
Fri Jun 2 14:25:58 EDT 2006

> And Joe actually made enough to pay us even after we agreed to do it
> for free, and he did pay us, which is exactly the opposite of what you
> do, Manny. I (and many other bands) agreed to play with you and get
> paid, and you didn't pay us. I agreed to play for Joe *for free* and
> he *did* pay us. I played a show for you, Manny, and you didn't even
> bother to show up until after it started and we had already done all
> the work. Joe showed up early and busted his ass to turn a disaster in
> to a great show.
> I'll play a show for Joe any time. Manny, you still owe me.

You're flogging the same bullshit and lies, Jeremy. I don't owe you a damn
thing.

Those two shows where you didn't get paid (or paid very little, because I do
think on that Brides show at least Alex got about $30 or something) I never
PROMISED you a guarantee either time. Four internationally released albums or
not, you were a *local opener* and both times (Shadow Lounge and Rex) it was a
wait and see situation after the touring act got their guarantee (which they
did). So stop pretending that I promised you anything. Because I didn't. And at
those two draws, you didn't draw for shit. Again, I maintain I had NO set
agreement on what to pay TSN, only a ballpark 'wait and see' kind of thing. So
I don't owe you anything.
The Brides got their $250, SMP got their $150, because I had actually PROMISED
them that.

I don't even think your memory is that good, because in that 'your venue doesn't
have bathroom' fiasco, you confused Garfield Artworks (which TSN never played,
but Alex did solo several times) with Shadow Lounge anyway. So if your memory
can't be trusted to remember even that, how
can people be sure your other recollections are entirely accurate? They're not.

As far as my showing up late, drop that lame excuse. I do upwards of 20 shows
per month. That's more than 200 shows a year. I take a bus everywhere and so
sometimes I miss one and I'm late to something. Maybe I'm late once every 20
shows. (Out of the dozen or shows Jim Semonik did at GA, I arrived later than I
was supposed to *one time* for soundcheck, and yet it still started on time).
Boo hoo. Big fucking deal. I set up the show in the first place, did all the
publicity, got a photo in the paper. You didn't do much before the show to
bring your people (or if you did it didn't net you any resulting draw). So you
got there before me and plugged your equipment into the PA before I got there.
let me pin on you a fucking medal. I'm glad Joe was conscientious and showed up
early, but let him show up early 200 times a year without a hitch and then
we'll see.

As far as the "I and many other bands" you traffic in enough lies and bullshit
to choke yourself. What "many other bands" are you talking about? i have
faithfully fulfilled THOUSANDS of guarantees to bands, whether on paper or
verbal. I'm glad for Joe that he fulfilled ONE guarantee. And the fact that
after he *made the money he needed to pay you, he still paid you the guarantee
you were originally promised, instead of making you play for free*? Do you see
the illogic in your statement? All he did was fulfill his *original promise*
because he realized he had the money to do so. Had I been in his position and
broken even I would have done the *exact same thing*. You can't even compare
the two situations. In Joe's situation, I wouldn't have even considered paying
the Sphinx an extortion fee to have the show happen. I would have found another
solution nearby that would have worked out excellent financially and enabled me
to bonus Jerry O'Neil for moving his PA (and I'm not going to tell you what -
but maybe your bandmate Alex can guess!).

You even admit Joe's show was very nearly a 'disaster'. Well, I don't think you
can characterize practically any goth or industrial show that I or Jim Semonik
have done at Garfield Artworks (or Shadow Lounge) as a disaster. A handful may
have lost money, but many more broke even or made money. And all of them
sounded good. With less people than Joe needed. And none of those shows had to
be moved because of a shady venue. I know for a fact, for example, that Joe was
the Birthday Massacre show, which broke even with 80-90 people. Yeah, Joe, I
know it's about getting as many people as possible and the 'dark aesthetic'
(my basement is full of those albums) but why lose money if you don't need to.

What it comes down to is that Joe is your new best buddy because he showed some
resourcefulness, paid you what he promised. and was responsible. Great. He is
an upstanding guy.

I have done those same exact things literally THOUSANDS of times.