this Sautrday

Jeremy David epistemology at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 00:27:14 EDT 2006

It might be because any new band who calls themselves goth identifies
themselves with something they might not want to be a part of. When
most people think, "goth" they think, "Insane Clown Posse" A lot of
bands don't want to be a part of that.

Also, they're not goth for the same reason Interpol is not goth. Their
lyrics aren't pretentious enough. They sound like they want to be Lou
Reed, not like they want to be Yeats. They don't say, "because," they
says, "cuz."

And it takes more than subject matter to be goth, it takes style.
After all, you know who else sang about heartbreak and bondage?
Vanilla Ice. See: Stop That Train.

On 6/8/06, gwen <gwenix at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/8/06, Deeann M.M. Mikula <deeann at d33ann.com> wrote:
> > I was listening to She Wants Revenge a while back, I guess they are on
>
> I've been trying to figure out for quite some time why She Wants
> Revenge isn't goth.  I mean, they sound like they closed themselves
> into a room with only Joy Division, old Cure, and Bauhaus CDs and
> refused to come out until they'd sufficiently indocrinated
> themselves... then they wrote lyrics about bad relationships and
> bondage... and in the concert I saw, they were all dressed in black.
> So what isn't goth here?
>
> --
> gwen.
> gamergothgeek

"A guy walks up to me the other day and asks, 'What is punk?' So I
kick over a garbage can and say, 'That's punk!' So he kicks over a
garbage can and says, 'That's punk?' And I say, 'No. That's trendy.'"
- Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day)