under/over

Sc'Eric (dj.darkFIN) darkfin6012 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 23 01:11:18 EDT 2006

It's funny... literally everyone I know thinks the drinking age should be lower, and yet we all pass it off as something we can do nothing about--mostly because is "doesn't effect us".  But I think as long as we continue with that line of reasoning, our clubs are going to keep disappearing.... with more and more ridiculous laws taking their place.

As for XY's articles being gay-centered, I couldnt' agree more--except for the fact that it's mere existence is to be a gay-youth magazine (which didn't exist prior to its inception).  When stuff like this is brought, I just have to remind myself: baby-steps.  Of course in our subculture we're very privileged that sexual orientation is virtually a non-issue.  Lots of kids (and adults) aren't so lucky--or are too afraid to test the waters and find out.

And finally... I just don't understand the notion that Sisters, Nephilim and The Cure aren't danceable.  That's the sort of stuff that actually MIGHT entice me to the dance floor more often...  It just requires the finesse of finding the beat yourself, instead of one being dictated to you.  =)   Other stuff I like to hear more are stuff like Ah Cama-sotz, Iszoloscope, Flint Glass, This Morn' Omina, etc--the ethno-industrial stuff that so many djs seem content to ignore for some reason.  To me, that's the most gutteral, tribal, danceable stuff out there.

~sc'e

gwen <gwenix at gmail.com> wrote:1) Interesting article, though it's very gay-centered when it doesn't
need to be.  A lot of what is being said really can apply to anyone of
any sexual orientation, and while I understand there's pride in being
inclusive there... it's also a point of separation.

2) I was just noticing that the kids danced more.  I think it's
because they had more energy than the older folks, really.  But they
were also the ones hanging out around the dance floor while the older
folks (even now) remain packed in by the bar.

3) I don't go to the club to get laid.  I did when I was 19, but I
have never gone to Ceremony for that purpose.

4) The goth scene has changed; older goths tend to be much more in
favour of "less danceable stuff", whereas the younger folks are more
interested in the thumpthumpthump music.  In the 80's/early 90's, the
stuff to listen to was Sisters of Mercy, Einsturzende Neubauten, The
Cure, anything with Rozz Williams in it, etc, and then around '96/'97
the club music shifted to Covenant, Wumpscut, VNV Nation, Apoptygma
Berzerk.  And now it's 2006 and Combichrist is the current club hit
band; the older folks behind the bar (particularly at Ceremony where
many of us are in our 30's now) really just aren't as interested in
dancing to that as would be the young kiddies.

5) Eh, all the babybats will eventually turn into ravers anyway, right?  *duck*

Anyway, my opinion on the drinking age is an incredibly separate thing
from all of this.  I don't actually agree with it for a host of
reasons (the article did touch on some of them), but it's not
something that we can change at Ceremony anytime soon.  So hey, might as well discuss the factors we can control rather than the ones we
cannot control.

--
gwen.
gamergothgeek