Chill out man...

Sc'Eric (dj.darkFIN) darkfin6012 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 26 11:47:23 EDT 2006

In some places, there are VERY limited number of venues.  And venue owners tend to want to keep venues as mainstream as possible.  Where I live, in fact, there are no venues at all with multiple rooms.  (There was never any industry here, so there are no leftover warehouses or buildings designed with large opens spaces.)  Example: if a venue rents you the space, they're gonna still worry about whether they're losing "regular customers" (in all senses of the word) to cater to a "bunch of freaks".  Happens here, must happen in other places too.

Sure if you have $$ they'll rent to you.  But the Dave Matthews kids always seem to have more of it... and--like it or not--less stigma associated.

~sc'e

ps. No, I literally meant "chill-out rooms".  I seriously down think it's unreasonable to expect downtempo spaces in clubs.  Squaremeter, Boards of Canada, Camanecroszcope... and maybe some non-rhythmic powernoise just to keep it interesting.  If ravers can have them, why not rivetheads?  Why not have a space set aside to NOT DANCE, so us non-dancing heathens won't be cluttering the perimeter of your dancefloor? (O.o)  No, I'm really being serious.

j eric townsend <jet at flatline.net> wrote:"Convince" them to rent you space?  WTF is this, some sort of communal living situation where we all vote on business transactions?   I have very little experience  running clubs, but the club owners we dealt with `were always:  "You have money, yes?  You would like to rent space, yes?  Ok, we rent to you!"   Maybe the minimums were more than we could afford, but as long as they got paid there wasn't a need to "convince" anyone to rent to us.
--
jet / KG6ZVQ
http://www.flatline.net

          PAdarkAlternative