Pay-to-play (was; my response)

DennisCraigLee@aol.com DennisCraigLee at aol.com
Sun Mar 5 12:01:55 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/5/2006 5:07:47 A.M. Atlantic Standard Time,
arcane93 at comcast.net writes:

I was suggesting that tickets be made available to band members to sell
beforehand.  No pressure, no *requirement* to sell them . . .  But
obviously, if they want an audience, it would be in their best interest
to try.

Matt

Matt, What has often been described as pay-to-play, further back than when
Nirvana protested it in their song of the same name. It's not the literal 'pay
the clubowner' for the privilege of using the stage' one might imagine - the
way some of the larger cities require erotic dancers in strip clubs to pay for
their stage time. That's usually referred to as 'How many lap dances do we have
to do to make our money back?'

>From a DIY standpoint, I don't feel this marketing technique is necessarily
unfair, and has the potential of succeeding in bringing more people to shows.
For those acts vehemently against it, to my knowledge Manny has never
subscribed to it. So cut him a little slack here.

evamo,
DCL