my response

Brian J. Parker brian.j.parker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 12:02:27 EST 2006

On 3/9/06, Jeremy David <epistemology at gmail.com> wrote:
> But often on the
> level of local performance that we're talking about, with certain
> promoters, you end up doing it all yourself anyway, and yet paying the
> promoter for his "services." Chris is right. Most spooky-type bands
> tend to do it this way. Nobody else does. Local indie rock kids
> actually make money on their little shows, and don't deal with the
> hastle of shitty promoters.

Then by all means, spooky-type bands ought to feel free to arrange
their own shows.

But based on my indie rock friends, I think they'll discover:

(1) Indie rock kids in bands tend to be more outgoing and have more
friends than spooky-type band kids.  We're not known for our social
skills.

(2) Indie rock type friends will tend to be more inclined to go out to
a bar anyway; spooky-type friends tend to be poorer and more
introverted.  We're not known for our disposable income, especially
after buying those expensive boots.

(3) There are a lot more indie rock kids than spooky-type kids.

All this is why I think spooky-type music sits most comfortably in
relation to other indie type music, instead of in a vacuum, if that
makes sense.  Chris Rapier and Matt Heilman and Mick Mercer will tell
you all about it more eloquently than I.

(who first heard LCD Soundsystem, The Decemberists, and Interpol
thanks to his indie rock type wife)